The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is a joint document for all European Union, European Economic Area countries and Switzerland Confederation that confirms the rights of citizens to receive state-funded emergency and necessary healthcare services to the same extent that it has secured the country's population. The EHIC is also accepted in the Unites Kingdom.

The EHIC ensures that the necessary and urgent medical care is given to the same extent as is provided to the country's residents, where patient is receiving a medical help.This medical help will be provided by the hospitals and the doctors who provide state-guaranteed health care services.

Where can I use EHIC in Latvia?

The services that are not paid by the EHIC: 

  • patient fee;
  • repatriation (transportation) costs.

How to get EHIC in Latvia?

EHIC application

EHIC can be obtained:

EHIC charges

In Latvia re-receipt of the EHIC (if the card has not expired, but it is necessary to get a new EHIC - such as a change of name of a person) is charged - 3.13 EUR. Payment for re-receipt of the EHIC may be made in person, via bank card (from 9.00am to 16.00pm, except for the first month of each working day) or by bank transfer. 


Who can obtain EHIC?

In Latvian EHIC are entitled to:

  • Latvian citizens;
  • Latvian non-citizens;
  • citizens of European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland who are residing in Latvia due to employment or self-employment, as well as their family members;
  • foreigners who have permanent residence in Latvia;
  • refugees and persons with subsidiary status.

Those who work in another Member State, the EHIC is subject to the Member State where the person is employed.

More about EHIC

When you need to get EHIC?

The EHIC card required if the person is temporarily going to one of the Member States:

  • leisure or tourism trip;
  • business trip;
  • job-search (finding work, health care is provided by the State in which the person works);
  • study practice;
  • if the person is employed in the international transport (such as driver-forwarding agents etc.).

Where does it work?

  • EU member states: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Greece, Estonia, Italy, Ireland, Cyprus, Great Britain, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Finland, Spain, Hungary , Germany and Sweden;
  • EEA countries: Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein;
  • Switzerland and United Kingdom.