To ensure citizens the right to social security, social benefits and state-funded healthcare when travelling or studying in one of the Member States of the European Union (EU), Member States of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, the United Kingdom, European Union legislation has been developed that coordinates various social security systems of all EU, EEA member states (including Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein), Switzerland and the United Kingdom.



In order to receive social benefits and state-funded healthcare during a temporary stay in one of the EU or EEA Member States, Switzerland or the United Kingdom, it should be taken into account that these types of services will be covered by the European Health Insurance Card (hereinafter – the EHIC).

The EHIC affirms the right to receive necessary or emergency medical healthcare to the same extent as it is provided to residents of the respective country. Such assistance will be provided by medical institutions and doctors providing state-guaranteed healthcare services in the respective country. The nature and extent of the services to be provided will be assessed by the treating physician on a case-by-case basis.

Information on what to do if a person DOES NOT HAVE THE EHIC while abroad, but he or she needs emergency medical assistance, can be found here.

If you have to pay for treatment from your own resources, you can apply to the NHS for reimbursement of expenses upon return to Latvia.



Family members who are dependent on an insured person in Latvia, who have temporarily gone to study abroad and continue to be dependent on their parents, have the right to receive a Certificate of Entitlement to Healthcare (hereinafter – Form S1)

Form S1 certifies a person’s right to receive state-funded healthcare services and allows registration for healthcare if the person permanently resides in one of the EU or EEA Member States but is insured in another (e.g. in Latvia).